Unit 4: Summative Task
Water Purification Plant
As a hydrologist, you have been asked to use your knowledge of physical properties and molecular structure to design and water purification plant.
Project Planning Recommendations
Day 1: Plan the Water Purification Plant
2. Determine what materials you want to use. Record.
3. Decide how you will purify your water. Do you want to use bleach OR hot plates?
4. Write the steps about how to purify the water samples.
5. Assign sections of the report. Example,
Luisa = nitrates
Marco = pH
Jonathan = hardness
Kavika = nitrites & total dissolved solids
Homework: Read about the water quality standards that you will be writing about in the report.
Day 2: Purify the Water
1. Get the materials and sample.
2. Record the sample name on your paper.
3. Purify the water. WARNING! No bleach if you are using hot plates. Use only beakers on hot plates.
4. Record all steps. Start with the verb. Avoid personal pronouns, such as "I' or "our group." Ex. Pour water through a coffee filter.
5. Create a drawing of the system design.
6. Clean up to avoid fines. Make sure your sample is clearly labeled with your period and table number.
Homework: Start to write about the water quality standard you were assigned, ex. nitrates or pH. You will explain:
Day 3: Water Testing & Report Writing
2. Record procedure and costs.
3. Perform a TDS and Easy Strip test on your sample.
4. Record test results.
5. Compare results with Minimum Water Quality Standards.
6. Everyone, work on your section of the report.
7. Everyone, clean up material and stations. Dispose of sample.