Unit 1: Models & Designs
Interactive Science Notebook
Here is a link to the Table of Contents (TOC) for the Models & Designs Unit for your Interactive Science Notebook (ISN).
Big Ahas! (Unit Thesis Question)
How can I think like an engineer and scientist?
- How can scientific drawings be used to convey information (penny drawings)?
- How can data be analyzed and interpreted when conducting a scientific investigation?
- How is surface tension affected by different liquids?
- How can we determine what's inside a "black box" without opening it?
- What science practices can be used to uncover the workings of a "black box"?
- What are the steps an inventor or engineer takes during the design process?
- How do scientists determine the type of model (conceptual or physical) to use to explain an idea?
- Manipulate objects and materials.
- Design and construct conceptual and physical models.
- Look for relationships between structure and function of materials and systems.
- Organize and analyze data from investigations with physical objects and systems.
- Apply mathematics in the context of science.
- Acquire vocabulary associated with engineering and technology.
- Gain confidence in their abilities to solve problems.
- Learn that there is often more than one solution to a problem.
- Communicate ideas to peers and work in a collaborative scientific manner.
- Use scientific thinking processes to conduct investigations and build explanations: observing, communicating, comparing, organizing, and relating.
Models (Physical & Conceptual)
Structure & Function
Engineering & Science Practices
Austin's Butterfly: Building Excellence in Student Work - Models, Critique, & Descriptive Feedback
Flight of the Gossamer Condor
This to Shall Pass Music Video Rube Goldberg Machine
Lifesaver Water Purifier Video on TED
Science Friday: Give it a Shake, Cornstarch Comes Alive Video
Inventions - Bill Nye
Hila Science - explains
Models & Designs Unit Feedback Survey
Please complete this survey at the end of the unit. You must be signed into your school email account.